Saturday, January 7, 2012

Copics vs ShinHan



Hello everyone. Hope you are all having a great Saturday. Topic of conversation today is Copics vs ShinHan. I found the ShinHan Touch markers while I was surfing the web last week. These are alcohol based inks and I thought they would be comparable to the "Fantastic" Copic Sketch markers that I use currently. Since I adore all of my Copic markers so much, I wouldn't think of changing. However, for those of you who don't want to spend so much money on markers, I thought the ShinHan Touch markers might be a good replacement since the cost is so much less than the Copics. While surfing the web, I came upon a site called Jerry's Artarama and they were having a sale on these markers (which looks permanent) for just $1.89 each. And to my luck they were also selling some sets of 12 (till Dec 31st) for $12 per set. So I ordered two sets of 12 (warm greys, blue greys, green greys, blacks) to try out and since I don't have a huge selection of gray markers in my Copics, I chose those to try. The nibs on these ShinHan markers are a fine point on one end and a broad tip on the other end. ShinHan does have some markers that have the same BRUSH tip as the Copics but they charge more for them. The prices I've seen on-line for those start at $5.30 each. 


Here are the results . . .


This is just scribbling color onto paper with markers onto Bristol Smooth cardstock 


Copic Cool Grays C1, C3, C5, C7, C9


ShinHan Blue Greys BG1, BG3, BG5, BG7, BG9


The biggest difference I noticed is that the ShinHan markers tended to smear the black ink I used to stamp the image. I used Memories Black Dye Ink which is normally okay for me to use with the Copics. If you look at the small circles in the body of the birds you can see the smear just a little bit. So I will have to experiment with the pad inks to see which ones work better. Memento ink may be a better fit for the ShinHan markers. The shading is pretty good. The fine tip nib takes some getting used to when you're used to using the brush nib on the Copics. Overall, I think the ShinHan Touch markers are a very good substitute for the Copics and since the price is so much less per marker it is better suited for those that are tightening their budgets.


Thanks for visiting!


Brenda

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I have a cousin who asked for markers for Christmas, and this post is JUST what I was looking for to see the results of using the Copic pens.. thank you so much for sharing your experience with both Copics vs. Shinhan's. It will help me make my purchase decision.

    ReplyDelete